Curly hair craves moisture. Dryness can creep in to tousle up our ringlets and make our coils tangle. Infusing moisture into your curls, coils & tight textures is essential to keep every hair strand soft, defined, and tangle-free.
The key to moisturizing curly hair type is to introduce moisture in every step of the wash, styling, and maintenance process. There are several natural hair styling products that work well but our Hydration Shampoo is creamy and boosted with Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Coconut Oil, and Honey to gently cleanse the scalp and hair without stripping away moisture.
Each of the four conditioners (Lightweight, Medium, Heavy & Intensive) are products for high porosity hair specifically deposits moisture into a variety of hair type textures and porosity levels, from super tight 4C hair to almost straight hair, to help protect against breakage & dryness.
The PATTERN Leave-In Conditioner provides moisture that lingers to make itself at home with your freshly washed curls and coils, providing a protective layer of nourishment that stays with your wash & go, twist out or any other style.
Our styling products like the Styling Cream and Strong Hold Gel each provide a finishing dose of moisture to provide oil-rich, touchable hold, while the Hydrating Mist quenches thirsty curls with essential nutrients and additional moisture between wash days.
How do you keep your curly hair moisturized?
PATTERN describes dryness as, "a curl’s cry for hydration; an invitation to give your coils the moisture they deserve; an opportunity for your natural hair texture to be restored and replenished."
Therefore, there are 4 key steps to keeping natural hair moisturized:
1. Use moisture-rich products. Choose hydrating and moisturizing shampoos and conditioners, as well as strengthening hair treatment masks for optimal moisture-protein balance.
2. Keep your curls protected. Wearing a satin bonnet at night helps to protect your hair from the back and forth friction that happens when your hair meets a cotton pillowcase. Satin bonnets also help to preserve the moisture in your hair while you sleep. If you prefer not to use a hair bonnet, opt for a satin pillowcase.
3. Watch out for breakage. To prevent breakage, keep your regimen simple and manipulation to a minimum. To balance all the moisturizing hair products that curlies love, include protein-based deep conditioning or mask treatments, such as PATTERN’s Treatment Mask, at least twice a month. It contains the strengthening properties of rice protein to help keep the hair strong and elastic. Hair that’s balanced with moisture and protein is a lot less prone to breakage.
4. Trim & detangle to prevent split ends. Keep your hair properly hydrated and deep conditioned, reduce manipulation, and always use proper curly hair accessories such as a comb or brush, while it’s damp, from the bottom up when styling. The ends are the oldest part of your hair, which means that they’re typically drier and more prone to splitting. If the hair starts to split, it could travel upward and cause weak points in the strand, eventually causing it to break. Schedule regular trims to get rid of that part of the hair so your ends can stay healthy and strong. Regular, for you, could mean every 6 - 8 weeks, 3 - 4 months, or 6 - 8 months, depending on the condition of your hair.
How can I hydrate my curly hair at home?
Hydrating your curly hair at home is simple once you have the right products. Layering moisture-rich formulas in your wash & styling process is key.
Use heat or steam to help our ultra-moisturizing formulas sink into your natural hair & receive the nourishment & hydration it craves.
For dry hair or brittle hair with major frizz, leave the conditioner on for 10 minutes as a repair treatment mask to help restore & revitalize your curls.
To keep hair hydrated when styling curly or wavy hair, try styles, such as rod sets and twist/braid outs. Pop in some small perm rods at the ends of your twist/braid outs to mimic natural curls or coils. Feel free to air dry or sit under a hooded dryer. Try to avoid styles with a lot of tension and manipulation, as they can cause the hair to break.
Keep in mind, for curly girl hair, shedding is natural and shouldn’t be alarming in moderation. Hair shedding does not mean your hair is dry or unhealthy. Even when hydrating curly hair at home, shedding will occur.
It’s perfectly natural to shed between 50 - 100 hair strands, daily. There’s no need to be concerned about shedding unless it becomes excessive. In the case of excessive hair shedding, consult your physician.
How do you make dry curly hair soft?
Dryness and damage can come from many factors, but with different approaches to caring for your hair & the regular use of deeply moisturizing products, hair can revive to be healthy & hydrated once again.
Heat or chemical damage, dry environments, too-infrequent hair trims, product build-up, formulas with harsh ingredients & too much time out of protective styles are some of the factors that can contribute to dry, fragile strands.
Use heat or steam to help our ultra-moisturizing formulas sink into every hair follicle and receive the nourishment & hydration it craves.
Products with silicones can also help. Not all silicones are bad. For the most part, they coat the strands, lock in moisture, block out humidity, add shine, and can make the hair feel soft and luxurious. However, when you use products that contain silicones, it’s important to shampoo regularly, because they can build up on the hair, preventing vital moisture from entering the strands. Eventually, your hair will start to break and become dry and dull-looking.
What are the best products for moisturizing curly hair?
Curls and coils crave as much moisture as they can get; our delicate strands need hair care and protection to prevent breakage. Our hair loves to spend time in protective styles to remain moisturized, to support our delicate ends & to aid in length retention.
The best natural hair care products for hydrating and moisturizing frizzy curly hair are:
Consider one of PATTERN’s beauty bundles to pair the perfect products for your hair type.
- Hydration Shampoo
Lightweight, Medium, Heavy or Intensive Conditioner
(Take our Conditioner Quiz to find out which conditioner is right for you)
- Leave-In Conditioner
- Jojoba Oil Blend
- Argan Oil Blend
- Styling Cream
- Hydrating Mist
- Jojoba Oil Self-Heating Packs
- Scalp Serum
- Treatment Mask