Whether piled on top of your head in a messy bun, delicately woven into intricate braids or spiraled into an elegant twist, there are endless ways to style your thin curls. Talk about versatility!
In fact, having lower hair density (i.e. thin curls) doesn’t mean you have fewer styling options—with the right tools & techniques, you can enhance the natural beauty of your tresses & find hairstyles that perfectly complement your unique personality & look.
In this article, we’ll explore the top 8 hairstyles for thin curly hair & offer you insights to master them. Ready to gain the confidence to transform your tresses & make a statement? Let’s dive in.
#1 Create Volume with Layered Hairstyles to Enhance Thin Curly Hair
Curl connoisseurs know that when it comes to styling thin curly hair, it’s all about balancing volume & definition. Adding a little oomph to your naturally thin curls can make them look healthy & full—& who doesn’t want that?
So, what’s the secret to voluminous curls when you have low-density tresses? Let’s talk about layers.
Layering is a haircutting technique that removes some of the weight from the strands’ internal length, allowing them to have more movement & body. This can help prevent your hair from weighing itself down & stretching out your curls.
While layers themselves don’t automatically give your hair volume, they do make it easier for your curls to hold on to the definition & volume they naturally have, especially with the right styling & drying techniques.
#2 Braids & Twists: Adding Depth & Texture to Thin Curls
Braids & twists are your best friend when you want to add more depth & dimension to your naturally thin hair. These intricate & elegant techniques can help you make the most of your strands & showcase your personal style.
Twists can add texture & volume to your thin curls, & depending on the style you choose, they’re easy to create on your own. While all curlies can give this look a try, it works particularly well with coily hair & tighter curl patterns alike.
Simply follow these simple steps to master basic twists:
- Shampoo Your Curls – If you want shiny, healthy curls, it’s important to ensure your hair is washed & hydrated several times a week since natural oils can easily weigh down your tresses. Begin by using a gentle cleanser, like the PATTERN Hydration Shampoo, that won’t be too harsh on your sensitive strands.
- Hydrate with Conditioner – After getting your hair nice & clean, it’s important to lock in the moisture your thin curls need to thrive. The PATTERN Lightweight Conditioner is the right consistency for your tresses & will provide them with the nutrients they need without weighing them down.
- Apply Leave-In for Added Protection – For added protection against flyaways & natural hair breakage, finish prepping your curls by applying our lightweight Leave-in Conditioner. This will also help you get the most out of your twists by keeping your style looking fresh for longer.
- Divide Your Coils into Sections – When you’re ready to start styling, you’ll want to divide your hair into several workable sections. This step paired with the right detangling products, specifically our Detangling Nectar, makes it easier to stay organized & complete each section individually.
- Split Each Section in Two – Divide one section into two portions (while keeping the others clipped separately) & pull the portions using even tension. Then, you can begin the twist by wrapping the portions of hair around each other & securing them with a product like our Strong Hold Gel.
If twists aren’t your style or you have waves rather than coils, you may want to opt for larger braids. Complete your braids loosely to make it look like you have thicker, high-density hair & add texture to your tresses.
#3 Half-Up, Half-Down Perfection: For Easy Elegance
Another sophisticated look for thinner curls is a half-up, half-down hairstyle. This style lets you showcase your natural curl pattern while adding volume & dimension to your locks. Even better? If you have longer tresses, a half-up, half-down ‘do can highlight your length while giving your curls a boost.
This style works especially well with day-two or day-three hair, as the natural oils on your scalp will help add hold & texture to your low-density strands.
#4 Bob Cuts & Thin Curly Hair: Stylish Options for a Fuller Look
Another stylish way to make the most of thin hair is to opt for a shorter hairstyle, like a curly bob. A bob hairstyle can make your tresses look fuller & disguise the areas where you’re looking for more volume. Plus, you can customize your curly bob hairstyle with:
- Layers – Adding layers to your bob can help give your fine curly hair extra bounce.
- A Deeper Side Part – With this look, you can disguise any thinning around the crown of your head.
- Volumizing Mousse – With its lightweight hold, a volumizing product, like the PATTERN Curl Mousse, can help you create flexible, defined curls.
#5 Curly Pixie Styles: Showcasing Thin Curls with Confidence
Nothing says confidence like a playful, curly pixie cut. In fact, with this hairstyle, you can highlight your beautiful facial features while confidently rocking your thinner curls.
Plus, a short curly hairstyle can help you reduce styling time while ensuring you always look effortlessly chic, whether you’re headed to a GNO or a cozy date night on the couch.
But, before committing to this cut, make sure your stylist considers your face shape & the amount of time you typically want to spend on hair care. This will help determine the best pixie cut or short hairstyle variation for you. For instance:
- If you’re a no-fuss curl enthusiast, you may want to opt for a simpler pixie cut.
- If you want to make a statement & don’t mind quality time with your diffuser, you can keep some length on the top to highlight your natural curl pattern even with a short curly hair look.
#6 Effortless Waves: Achieving Natural Styles for Thin Curly Hair
With waves, you can help your fine hair texture shine while amping up its body & volume. Here's another tip: curly hair styling products, like the PATTERN Moisture Milk, can give your 2a, 2b or 2c tresses the lightweight hydration they need to achieve that smooth, shiny & effortlessly wavy look.
Here are some other benefits you can expect from adding hair milk to your hair care routine:
- Hydrated Thirsty Tresses – The structure of waves, curls & coils makes it trickier for the scalp’s natural oils to travel to the end of the strands. Fortunately, hair milk offers additional moisture to keep your tresses well-hydrated & luminous.
- Nourished Natural Texture – Nourishing, lightweight hair products for curly hair like our Moisture Milk can soften your waves & enhance their natural texture without weighing them down. This means you can achieve that glossy, smooth look that’s ideal for braids, buns & ponytails.
- Enhanced Curl Pattern – The hydrating oils in hair milk help support your natural curl pattern, allowing for enhanced definition & hold.
- Stronger Strands – Hair milk can encourage both smoothness & strength, helping to prevent natural hair breakage & unnecessary damage to your strands. Over time, less breakage & damage will lead to healthier hair & more full-looking locks.
#7 Styling with Curly Bangs: Adding Character to Thin Hair
Another way to add some flair to your naturally thin hair is to ask your hairstylist for curly bangs. The twists & turns of curly bangs can give the appearance of more volume & body, creating a luscious & vibrant look. In fact, curly bangs have caught on quickly because they bestow style & dimension to curly kings & queens regardless of their curl pattern or hair density.
When you go for this cut, make sure to ask your stylist for their insights, as they’re trained to analyze your face shape & curl pattern to help you choose the best length & style for your bangs.
#8 Overnight Protection: Pineapple Updos for Thin Curly Hair
Thin curls may be more susceptible to losing their shape & definition overnight, so considering the proper protective hairstyles for sleeping is essential if you want to help them maintain their curl pattern.
What do we recommend?
For an easy, overnight protective style, opt for a “pineapple” updo. This style is basically a loose ponytail, typically secured with a soft scrunchie on the crown of the head. To make a statement, wear this beyond bedtime. Perhaps even accessorize the look with your favorite silk scarf for a simple updo.
While you may not see this style on the catwalks of Milan, it offers just enough structure to protect your tresses from damage during sleep while avoiding any unnecessary pulling or stretching of your curls, coils or waves.
Let PATTERN Help You Style Your Thin Curls with Confidence
Low-density curls shouldn’t keep you from debuting a diverse variety of hairstyles. Whether you’re into an edgy pixie cut or curious about adding texture with some twists, there are plenty of styles that can give your thin curls a luscious, vibrant & unforgettable look—and PATTERN can help.
At PATTERN, we know the importance of nourishing your natural hair with high-quality styling products, especially when you’re looking to pump up the volume & definition. That’s why you won’t find harsh chemicals or toxins in our formulas—only natural ingredients that foster holistic hair care & optimal hair health, like Argan Oil, Jojoba Oil, Honey & Aloe Vera Leaf Juice.
When used in combination with gentle styling tools & the proper application techniques, our products can help enhance your thin curls & empower you to express yourself through diverse, statement-making hairstyles.
Explore our collection today to get started.
MHDPro. Long Layers–The Ultimate Guide to Long Layered Haircuts. https://mhdpro.com/blog/guide-long-layers/#:~:text=Layering%20is%20a%20cutting%20technique,added%20during%20styling%20and%20dressing.
The Zoe Report. Why Hair Milk Products Are Essential For Nourished Curls. https://www.thezoereport.com/beauty/hair-milk-products.