If you’re addicted to natural hair content on TikTok, you’ve likely already heard of Bohemian braids—the carefree, stylish look that’s perfectfor summer.
Equal parts glam & casual, Bohemian braids (sometimes called Bohemian knotless braids or Bohemian box braids) highlight the beauty of natural hair textures & showcase the whimsical side of protective styling. Essentially, they’re knotless box braids that incorporate curly braiding hair for a full, fresh-from-the-beach look.1
If you’re looking to learn how to create Bohemian braids on natural hair, this guide is for you. We’re breaking down prep, braiding, styling & aftercare step-by-step—get ready to turn heads.
Prepping Your Natural Hair for Bohemian Braids: Essential Tips & Techniques
First, let’s cover the supply list for knotless Bohemian braids:
- Pre-stretched straight braiding hair (natural or extensions)
- Pre-stretched curly braiding hair (natural or extensions)
- Your hair styling products of choice
- An edge tool
- Boiling water
- Clips & hair ties for parting & sectioning
After you prep your styling station, get your hair ready for Bohemian braids by:
- Washing with a product like our Cleansing Shampoo to remove all impurities
- Air-drying your hair orstretching it using a blow dryer on low heat
Most importantly, prepare to be amazed.
Step-By-Step Guide: How to Create Bohemian Braids on Curly & Natural Hair
You’ve probably seen a few different braided Bohemian hairstyles—the steps below will help you achieve a textbook Bohemian braid look. But there’s certainly room for creativity here, so don’t be afraid to experiment with the process to create a ‘do that’s unique to you.
Step 1: Part & Section
First, part & section your hair to prepare it for braiding.
You can part your hair any way you’d like: we love both side-part devotees & middle-part queens in this house. But when it comes to parting, there are two key things to remember:
When you’re ready to start working on the first portion of your hair, gather hair into ½” to 1” sections—or even bigger if you’d like.
Step 2: Start Braiding
Once you’ve gathered a section of hair, it’s time to start braiding:2
- Separate hair into three sections of equal size.
- Start braiding—remember that most Bohemian braids styles are knotless.
- Create a ½” long braid, then add your first piece of straight braiding hair.
- Braid down three times, then add a piece of curly braided hair.
- Repeat, alternating between straight & curly braided hair.
- Finish each braid by braiding as far down as possible.
Use your preferred method for finishing braids—dipping them in hot water, for instance.
Getting Creative with Curls
When it comes to achieving that slightly-unraveled look, there are a few ways you can modify the steps above:
Maintaining Your Bohemian Braids: Care & Styling Tips for Longevity
Once you pick your jaw up off the floor, you might be wondering how to take care of your brand new Bohemian braids. Here are a few tips from seasoned Boho braiders:
- Wash as usual– Wash your hair as you normally would in a braided style. Use your normal routine & hair products for braids to keep your style clean & fresh long-term.
- Remember moisture– Without moisture, Bohemian braids hairstyles can go from carefree to frizzy fast. Consider using a product like PATTERN’s Leave-In Conditioner to hydrate your scalp & natural hair on wash day.
- Maintain edges– Adding a fresh edge control product & sprucing up your baby hairs as needed can help you extend the life of your Bohemian braids.
PATTERN: Care for Your Curls
Whether you whip up bouncy Bohemian braids or opt for sleek Fulani braids, PATTERN has everything you need to create, care for & maintain your protective style.
We love our natural hair—& we love yours, too. That’s why we only use the highest-quality ingredients to create perfect formulas for every curl pattern. Whether you’re looking for shampoo & conditioner for curly hair, styling tools or supplies for your next braiding session, PATTERN has everything you need to show love to your natural hair.
Explore our collection of hair products for curly hair today to get started.
- Blay, Annie. "Boho Braids Are TikTok’s Favorite Protective Hairstyle And We Can See Why." Glamour. 3 March, 2021. https://www.glamourmagazine.co.uk/article/boho-braids
- "Neat and easy knotless boho braids." TheChicNatural. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b3J2TiLQAx4