Do you feel like switching up your styling routine but are worried you don’t have the right hair type to try straight, silky tresses? Think again. With popular styling techniques like the silk press & the blowout, you can achieve the sleek & shiny locks you’re after.
So, what’s the difference between silk press & blowout?
Keep reading this guide to compare a blowout vs silk press, explore how long they typically last before your next wash day, & review steps you can take to ensure your natural curls stay protected & moisturized.
Choosing the Right Technique: A Guide to Silk Press vs Blowout
When you’re trying to decide what sleek style you want to sport next, it’s important to understand the differences between your options. Whether you have tight coils, loose waves or a curl pattern somewhere in between, it’s time to detangle popular reservations about achieving these hairstyles.
The requirements are simple & easy. Both styles call for a blow dryer to achieve straight hair, while a silk press adds a flat iron or a hot comb to complete the final look. Both approaches use a little bit of heat, the right techniques, protective hair products & tools to take care of your natural curls while you silk-ify them.
Process Comparison: Silk Press vs Blowout
Understanding the differences between a silk press & blowout can help you have the tools & products you need on hand so you’re ready to don sleek, straight hair in no time. The primary difference between a silk press & a blowout is the processes used to complete these styles.
For each look, you’ll want to make sure your curls are clean & moisturized, so use a gentle cleanser like PATTERN's Hydration Shampoo to remove any oil & dirt buildup from your scalp & strands.
Follow up with a hydrating conditioner, such as PATTERN’s Intensive Conditioner, to restore your curls’ moisture & give them the nourishment they crave, especially when you’re opting for a straight-styling method. Then, you can use either of these approaches to create a soft, lush final look.
Here’s a look at the differences in styling methods for a silk press vs. blowout:
Perfecting Your Blowout
To turn your curls & coils into a voluminous & bouncy blowout, you’ll want to make sure you have a trusted hair dryer on hand, such as the PATTERN Blow Dryer. After giving your hair a good wash, you’ll use a round brush to gently wrap your wet hair, root-to-tip, creating loose, sleek waves throughout your tresses.
Creating a Silk Press
Similar to a blowout, you’ll use a blow dryer & a round brush to turn your curls into a smooth & shiny style when crafting a silk press. But the fun doesn’t stop there—once your hair is nice & dry, you’ll use a flat iron or hot comb to lock in the sleek style & maximize your tresses’ natural shine.
Mastering Silk Press Techniques
When you want to master the perfect silk press, there are a few tips you can remember to help you get the best results:
- Use a heat protectant – While it’s always crucial to prep your natural hair before applying heat hair tools, it’s especially important when you use more than one heat tool to complete your look, like a blow dryer & flat iron. This means you’ll want to invest in a quality product, such as PATTERN’s Heat Protectant Spray, to guard against hair damage.1
- Take your time – When flat ironing, you’ll want to avoid passing over the same area several times as this can cause heat damage. Instead, start at the root & slowly work the flat iron down across the entire length of your hair, taking your time to lock in the straight style.
Achieving Perfect Blowouts
Here are some tips & tricks to help you achieve the perfect blowout:
- Section out your crown – Whether you have an abundance of luscious curls or just a few, sectioning out your crown into parts can make blow drying significantly easier. Focus on one section at a time with your hair dryer, making sure each length & layer is straight & smooth before moving on to the next portion of hair.
- Use a quality blow dryer –Contrary to popular belief, not all blow dryers are created equal. That’s why you’ll want a high-quality heat tool like the PATTERN Blow Dryer, which features an ion generator & a professional-grade AC motor to help cut down on dry time & minimize heat damage.
Embrace silky styles with PATTERN
No longer solely for salon visits, you can create the perfect blowout or silk press at home with the right techniques & curly hair styling products. After crafting your next sleek style, you can even nourish your curls & coils with restorative products for heat damaged hair to ensure you leave your locks looking & feeling their best.
At PATTERN, we put healthy hair first, which is why you won’t find any phthalates or parabens in any of our products. So at the end of the day, whether you are interested in using the silk press vs blowout method, natural hair with tons of flair wins the day.
- Edwards, Chime. "Real Talk About Heat Damage." Essence. Updated 27 October, 2020.https://www.essence.com/hair/transitioning/real-talk-about-heat-damage/