As a curly, coiled or tight-textured natural, your hair’s gravity-defying ability is its most impressive trait. But to truly elevate your hairstyle to new heights, you’ll need a hair pick.
While you don’t need to be a professional to use a hair pick, you certainly need to walk, talk and pick like one. Improper usage of a hair pick can lead to damage and hair breakage. Luckily, we’re here to help you learn how to style curly hair using a hair pick, especially our Allure Best Of Beauty award-winning Hair Pick.
In this guide, you’ll learn all there is to know about how to use a hair pick to fully embrace your natural hair texture. Plus, we’ve added a few must-have hair products and hair accessories to help you harmonize your hair pick with your curls.
Step 1: Start on Freshly Washed Hair
When your hair is clean and nourished, it’s in its happiest state and least likely to break. So, the first step is to hone your wash day routine.
If you don’t have a wash day routine down pat yet or don’t know how to pick out curly hair products for your natural texture, fear not! Here’s an example of what an effective wash day routine looks like:1
- Cleanse your scalp with a cleansing yet gentle Hydrating Shampoo
- Moisturize with a Lightweight Conditioner to help hydrate your curls
- Rinse with cool water to seal your ends
- Style your hair using natural hair tools paired with your go-to products, such as gels or curl creams
Many naturals worry that hair picks will create all of the frizz with none of the bounce. But with the proper technique, that won’t be the case. Similar to what you have learned in regards to how to brush your curly hair, keeping strands moisturized is key. Make sure your hair is properly moisturized with conditioners, gels, curl creams, or blends like Jojoba Oil or Argan Oil before using a hair pick—your hair is more likely to come out luscious and gravity-defying when hydrated.
Tip: Don’t Pick Your Hair Before a Wash, Unless to Detangle
If you use a hair pick before you wash your hair, the volume and fullness may not last once it’s washed and conditioned.
But, you can pick your hair before a wash if you want to detangle. It’s small and easy to grip so you can reach areas around your hair without any problems. However, make sure to choose a wide-tooth pick. It’ll be gentler on your hair and make the detangling process go a lot faster.
Step 2: Dry Your Hair
To keep your curls happy and healthy, avoid the hair pick until your hair has completely dried. And to achieve gravity-defying curls, use the following:
- T-shirt or microfiber towel, to dry and empower your curls
- Diffuser with the setting on low heat or cool, to create heaven-touching volume
These methods will also protect your healthy hair from any unnecessary snagging (which can happen when using a cotton towel) and help your hair retain as much curl-quenching moisture as possible.
Step 3: Find the Right Pick
If you’re after a certain look or want to protect your hair from unnecessary breakage, then the Hair Pick you use matters. You’ll want a quality pick with wide-set teeth to help you achieve volume, shape and elongation.
When it comes to picks, there are two options: metal and plastic. The type of pick you use will greatly depend on what curl type you have:
- Metal picks – Metal picks are great for those with tighter curly hair patterns or those who have thick hair. But be careful—while metal picks can add more volume, they may also scratch your scalp.
- Plastic picks – Plastic picks are a lot more gentle on the hair strand compared to metal picks, and they are useful for detangling and adding volume. Plus, they’re ideal for loose curls.
Whichever you decide to go with, choose the quality hair pick product that works best for you and your luscious locks.
Step 4: Pick Your Hair
As mentioned before, the trick to picking your hair is doing so only at the roots once your hair is dry. This technique will give you that added height and volume you’re looking for.
When you pick at the ends, you may harm your hair and cause unwanted frizziness or breakage, disrupting your curl pattern. Knowing the right and wrong way to pick can help you better maintain your hair’s length and health:
- Step 1 – Flip your hair over your head and start picking from the bottom, near the nape of your neck.
- Step 2 – Shake your hair out, then separate your hair into manageable sections.
- Step 3 – In each section, start at the root and pull the pick up and away from the scalp. Use short motions and quick pulls.
- Step 4 – Use the Hydrating Mist to nourish your curls and lock in the volume.
Reach New Hair Heights with PATTERN
Once you know how to pick your hair, you can elevate your personal style. All you need now is the right hair pick to get there.
At PATTERN, we are a Black-owned and Black-founded hair care company dedicated to helping you embrace and show off your authentic beauty. That’s why our products are catered to the needs of all textured hair. Our award-winning Hair Pick is designed to be easy to grip and stylish, and it’s perfect for picking your roots and fluffing your hair for some added volume and body.
Embrace your authentic, natural beauty with PATTERN’s hair accessories today.
- Naturally Curly. Lazy Naturals: Wash Day Routine. https://www.naturallycurly.com/curlreading/curl-products/lazy-natural-wash-day-routine