Summertime is upon us. That means we’re flaunting our summer dresses, sporting our cute crop tops & basking in our new bathing suits. Another thing we’re showing off this year? Our beautiful & bouncy natural curls—the cherry on top of any summer style.
If you’re looking to kick your hair game up a notch or two this summer, you’ve come to the right place.
In this guide, we’re sharing our 5 must-try summer styles for curly hair queens & exploring how you can preserve your curls using the right natural hair styling products no matter how much the weather heats up.
#1 SPACE BUNS
Spice up your crown this summer with a hairstyle trend that’s out of this world—space buns. This fun & bold look is characterized by two high buns piled atop either side of your head. Not only do space buns celebrate your inner child with a joyful 90s throwback vibe, but they can also save you styling time during your morning routine.
Here are the steps to creating textured space buns with your natural curls:
- Part your hair – Part your hair down the middle with our Edge Control Tool—a styling must-have that you’ll use throughout the process of creating this look.
- Establish your ponytails – With your hair split into two sections, pull each side into a high ponytail. For a more sleek look, you can apply some gel to the roots & brush it through, then edge your baby hairs with the Edge Control Tool & keep everything in place with our Strong Hold Gel. Allow your hair to set by tying a satin scarf around your hairline for a few minutes.
- Create each space bun – Grab the loose hair from one ponytail & twist it outward so that you have one large twist of hair. Wrap it around the base of your pony’s elastic until you’ve reached the end of the strand. Then, use a few PATTERN Hair Pins to secure the hair in place. If you have thicker hair that’s harder to twist, wrap another hair tie around the base of our ponytail. Then, pull your ponytail through halfway, creating a bun with hair leftover. You can then wrap the leftover hair around the base of your ponytail & tuck it beneath the hair tie to secure it in place.
- Shape each bun – Use additional bobby pins or nylon hair ties to shape each bun so that they’re even.
Headbands are a versatile accessory that can easily add to a cute summer outfit. From rhinestone clad headbands to ones that feature bows, the possibilities are endless.
Plus, there are a variety of ways to dawn a headband, including:
Make a statement while keeping your hair out of your face with a headband. Start by slicking your hair back with our Strong Hold Gel. Then, place the headband on top of your head, about an inch from where your hairline begins.
Not only does this style complement your voluminous curls, but the slicked-back look also highlights the statement piece—the headband.
Whether you’re searching for a simple yet chic look you can run errands in or just trying to keep yourself a little cooler in the summer heat, you can add a headband to any updo for an added pop of style. Here are a couple of our favorite options:
- Opt for a sporty look by pulling your hair into a high ponytail, then adding a simple cotton headband.
- Go for a daring look by slicking your hair back into a low ponytail, secured with one of our Velvet Scrunchies, & choosing a bold & colorful headband.
When it comes to summer styles for naturally curly hair, you can’t go wrong with a good protective style. From French braids to box braids, the list of styles to choose from goes on & on. That means you can try various types of braid styles throughout the summer & keep your look fresh all season long.
Aside from upping your style game, braiding hair also protects your natural curls from frizz & help preserve your hair’s natural moisture in the summer heat.1
Regardless of which style of braid you choose, here are a few tips to consider when rocking a braid this summer:
- Start with clean hair – Wash your hair & use our Leave-In Conditioner to help detangle your coils. This will make the braiding process a whole lot smoother.
- Make sure hair is wet or damp before braiding – Wet hair is easier to section & provides better protection for your tresses. This is because your hair will be smooth & detangled from the get go.
- Section your hair before braiding – If you’re going for French braids, fishtails, or any type of braid that includes more than one, section your hair after you’ve washed & conditioned it. Place each section in a ponytail so that you don’t mix up the strands of each braid.
#4 LOOSE BUN
Interested in demurely showing off your curls & giving your neck a breather from the summer heat without going the space bun route?
A loose bun is a perfect summer style for naturally curly hair, especially if you’re going for that I woke up like this look. As a bonus, this style is also heat-free, which your coils & curls will love.
Here’s how to style curly hair into a simple, yet elegant loose bun:
- Apply a product, like PATTERN’s Styling Cream to wet hair to provide moisture & help set your natural hair.
- Allow your curly locks to air dry.
- Pull your hair into a ponytail. The height of your ponytail depends on your preference, but we recommend staying between your neck & crown.
- Gently wind your curly locks around the base of the ponytail, creating a loose, messy bun.
- Use a few bobby pins or a hair tie to keep the bun in place.
The result is a voluminous loose bun that will keep you feeling cool & looking fabulous.
@patternbeauty If looks could talk they would tell you that this slick back SLAYS 🤍 @Beatriz Lobbo ✨ #patternbeauty #slickbackstyle #slickbackbun #slickupyourlook #hairinspo #hairstyle ♬ time travel - chief. & nobuddy
Didn’t we say the 90s were back? Embrace this latest style trend by embellishing your crown with cute & decorative barrettes this summer.
Here are a few different ways you can place barrettes, depending on the length of your hair type:
- Short curly hair – For those of you queens rocking short curly hairstyles, consider a sleek side part with your hair held in place by a couple barrettes. Start by smoothing out the smaller section of your part with our Strong Hold Gel. Once you’ve smoothed it out, take your barrettes & slide them into that section to hold the hair in place.
- Long curly hair – If you have long curly hair, you can use the same style as mentioned above, or pull your hair into a sleek low bun or ponytail. After your hair is slicked back & tied at the base, you can use your barrettes to frame your face or go for a bolder look by placing them strategically around the base of the ponytail or bun.
TIPS & TRICKS TO PRESERVE YOUR CURLS IN THE SUMMER
Styling your juicy & joyful curls is one thing, but with factors like the humidity, heat & sun, how do you preserve your curls & keep them juicy during the hottest season of the year?
Fear not, Queen. Below, we’re sharing tips to help you maintain beautiful & bouncy curls all summer long:
USE A MOISTURIZER
When it comes to keeping your curls nourished, moisture is key—especially during hot & dry summer months. On wash days, consider our conditioner with clip for curly hair or our heavy conditioner (featuring Shea Butter) for coily hair to give your curls a boost of moisture.
Not to mention, between washes, PATTERN’s Hydrating Mist (featuring Coconut Oil) can keep your hair fresh & moisturized to help you avoid damage caused by environmental stressors, like UV radiation & air pollution.2
TREAT YOURSELF TO A HAIR MASK
Due to its coily nature, it’s often more challenging for curly hair to coat the entire hair shaft in natural oils.3 So, to avoid dry & damaged ends, try using a hair mask.
A hair mask can help seal in moisture & provide extra conditioning. Our hydrating hair mask for curly hair, in particular, is infused with rice-water & moringa seed extract to keep your hair feeling hydrated & soft long after you’ve rinsed out the mask.
SAY GOODBYE TO FREQUENT WASH DAYS
Since curly hair is prone to drying out more easily (& since shampoo can dry out your hair more quickly), give yourself a wider gap between wash days. We recommend going a week between washes.
If you feel you need to wash more frequently, consider simply rinsing your hair with water & then conditioning between full washes. When wash day does roll around, you can use a product that helps to rid your hair of buildup without depleting your natural moisture such as our hydration shampoo for curly hair.
TAKE A COLD SHOWER
Beat the summer heat & keep your natural texture hydrated by showering with cold water during wash days. Why go cold?
Washing your hair with cold water keeps your cuticles closed. In turn, your curls are more likely to retain moisture & give you the summertime shine you’re looking for.4
FLAUNT YOUR SUMMER STYLES WITH PATTERN
With these 5 quick & edgy summer styles for natural hair (& with PATTERN’s must-have curly hair products), you can step into the season feeling gorgeous & looking glamorous.
No matter your natural curl type, we offer treatments & tools to help you embrace your natural hair & achieve your style goals. Read our blog to uncover more protective styles that are perfect for summer, such as marley twists, knotless box braids, flat twist outs, passion twists, bantu knots & more. Give your curl pattern room to thrive this summer, with PATTERN.
- Jean, Doris. "Protective Styling: Is it Bad to Braid Curly Hair?" Curly Girl Says. 30 June, 2021. https://curlygirlysays.com/protective-styling-is-it-bad-to-braid-curly-hair/
- "Skin and haor protected from environmental stress." Personal Care Magazine. https://www.personalcaremagazine.com/story/15702/skin-and-hair-protected-from-environmental-stress
- Carlson, Debbie. "10 summer hair care tips for naturally curly hair." Chicago Tribune. 12 August, 2019. https://www.chicagotribune.com/lifestyles/fashion/sc-fashion-0805-curly-hair-summer-tips-20190812-kofn7l5mx5cfnna2bkqgm3smmm-story.html
- "I had Cold showers to get better Hair. Here's what happened." My Hairdresser. 6 December, 2016. https://www.myhdhair.com/blogs/hairverything/i-had-cold-showers-for-better-hair-heres-what-happened