Come one, come all, curly-haired kings & queens! We invite you into a new era of blow drying. This empowering, curl-defining era involves one blow-drying tool that all curly hair owners absolutely need to know about: a diffuser.
If you’re looking for curls with structure & volume, a diffuser might just be your new hair care bestie. Before your next wash, get to know all about diffusers & why they’re your ultimate blow-drying tool for coils & curls.
Diffusers 101: What Are They?
A diffuser is a hair dryer attachment that evenly disperses hot air over your hair. This means a steady stream of air flows to prevent heat damage or a disrupted curl pattern. The result? Curls with better structure, volume & shine.
Diffusers come in many shapes & sizes, but most are built for maximizing your curls. Typically, a diffuser will have these qualities:
- A cone shape with a circular head
- A hollowed-out inside of the cone shape
- Soft “teeth” inside the cone to help separate curls
At PATTERN, we designed our Diffuser Attachment for peak curl definition & volume, all while lowering your drying time. Our vortex shape controls and softens the airflow to submerge the entire strand. To simulate natural drying, we also include ventilated prongs that distribute hot air from an aluminum plate.
“The Diffuser Attachment simulates natural drying, and is great when you are looking to do a nice and simple wash and go,” says PATTERN Hair Stylist & Brand Ambassador Mideyah Parker. “It’s also a terrific option for people that shower at night and want to add a little volume the next day.”
Why are Diffusers Great for Curly Hair?
Diffusers like ones from PATTERN were built with curly hair in mind. “It's a great option for the days when you want to slap a headband on and still want voluminous curls in the back,” says Parker. “And for even more fun, this product can help you achieve wild unruly curls all over.” By distributing air & heat more evenly than traditional blow dryers, they offer these benefits to coils & curls:
- Curl-tastic definition – Attach a diffuser to your PATTERN Blow Dryer & your curl will receive a gentle gust of heat for even drying. This will leave your curl pattern undisturbed, giving you formed yet voluminous curls.
- Volume all over – For most curly heads, air drying often leaves behind curly strands with flat roots. The vortex shape of the PATTERN Diffuser can apply heat at the roots & ends for lifted strands. This will leave you with bouncy curls that aren’t weighed down by wetness while drying.
- Speedy drying time – For dense curls, air drying can take hours—even all day! Luckily, you don’t have to choose between frizz or wet locks. A diffuser speeds up drying time without ruining your hairstyle or pattern.
- Styling setting – Rolling out some finger waves? Tying some Bantu knots? A diffuser can set your style without changing it. The distributed heat & air will help lock your hair in place all day.
How to Use a Diffuser on Curly Hair
Ready to plug in? If you’re new to the diffusing game, learn how to reveal your most deliciously defined curls yet with the PATTERN Diffuser:
- Shampoo & condition your hair thoroughly.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner & any styling product of your choice (gel, mousse, etc.).
- Section your hair into 6 even pieces.
- Spray each section generously with a product like PATTERN’s Heat Protectant.
- Attach the PATTERN Diffuser attachment to the PATTERN Blow Dryer.
- Gently hover the diffuser attachment over each section for 20 to 30 seconds, moving between sections until completely dry.
Craving more length? Use the PATTERN Concentrator Nozzle Attachment to stretch dry curls. Want to add volume to your wash n’ go style? Use the PATTERN Wide Tooth Comb Attachment at the roots of dry curls.
Diffuse, Define & Dazzle with PATTERN
For curls, a little hot air can go a loooong way. Add our PATTERN Diffuser to your post-wash routine, & you can have voluminous, bouncy & perfectly defined curls in no time at all.
Ready to upgrade the rest of your curl routine? Explore the rest of our natural curl-loving PATTERN Blow Dryer Attachments & styling treatments to plump up your roots, separate coils or add an extra bit of gloss. No matter your pattern, our expertly designed products & tools are here to make your curls feel their best.