By PATTERN Team
4B & 4C friends—we’ve heard your call for a broader discussion on how coily & tight textured curlies in our community can best use their PATTERN formulas & tools, & we are here for this conversation! We celebrate that each head of curly hair is unique & recognize that products function differently for each person’s strands, so the team is very excited to provide suggestions below to help you find the most success on wash day.
Start with a gentle wash with our Hydration Shampoo—you’ll enjoy a thorough clean from our delicate, oil-packed cleanser, & many of our tight-textured shoppers find their strands hydrated, softer & beginning to detangle even from just the shampoo itself.
And we’ve got options…
Choosing which conditioner is right for you is an undeniable step for maintaining maximum moisture! Knowing your curl pattern, your hair’s porosity, its protein sensitivity, the weather environment & the extent of potential chemical or heat damage from the past are some of the factors to consider as you choose between different formulas.
- Works very well for curly & coily hair
- Offers plenty of hydration, slip & curl definition
- Works well for medium porosity folks
- Is perfection for a wash day when you are only looking to co-wash (aka, use only conditioner)
- Very rich, buttery thick formula that imparts a ton of moisture
- Works beautifully for coily & tight-textured patterns
- High porosity folks whose hair craves as much moisture as it can get will love this hydrating formula
- Protein-free for protein-sensitive hair
- Works amazingly as a deep conditioning treatment
- Loves a tight-textured pattern
- Rich yet slightly milkier formula (compared to the Heavy Conditioner) to help glide through denser textures
- Great for low porosity folks struggling to get moisture to penetrate deep into their hair cuticle
- Protein-free for protein-sensitive hair
Still unsure which might work best? Give our Mini Conditioner Bundle a try to test all 3 & learn which one your hair favors most!
You know your curly hair best, so feel free to jump around the recommendations above & test out a few—your new favorite may surprise you!
More Tips for Conditioning
- In order to allow our conditioners to do their best work, they must be water activated! Be sure to keep your hair thoroughly wet throughout the process.
- Allow conditioner to fully penetrate strands before detangling.
- Try leaving the conditioner on for longer periods of time under a cap or in use with a hair steamer to really open up the hair cuticle & let the nourishment seep in.
- Finger detangle while conditioner seeps into your strands to start the detangling process in a super gentle manner.
- Working in small sections (we suggest using our extra big & strong Hair Clip to hold back the rest of your hair), gently rake fingers through starting at the most delicate section of the hair—the ends.
- Slowly make your way up to the middle of the hair & then up to the roots & eventually comb all the way back down through the hair as the tangles are gently worked out. Shedding hair is normal, but this gentle process should help you lose as few hairs as possible!
- Fingers or a wide tooth comb may work best for detangling 4B/4C hair if you find the Shower Brush contains too many bristles for your pattern (stay tuned for some new tools coming soon!)
- Keep newly detangled sections twisted up & out of your way so you can easily progress around your whole head.
- Rinse out conditioner & follow with the Leave-In Conditioner to seal in moisture, further detangle strands & define your curls as you style your hair.
For a Little Extra TLC
Treat your strands & scalp to boosted moisture & revitalization with the Oil Serums. Our Jojoba Oil Hair Serum feels amazing as it brings hydration & revitalizing properties to the scalp! We also love to follow Tracee’s tip with the Argan Oil Hair Serum & cocktail it into some Leave-In Conditioner for an extra boosted hydration layer on our strands as we step out of the shower.
Don’t forget the Microfiber Towel as needed to gently squish & soak up excess water post-shower keeping those curls defined & intact after your brush styling. It’s one of our favorite hair styling tools.
Please share your 4B & 4C hair knowledge in the comments below to help fellow coilies & tight textures with product tips, favorite methods & more.