When you imagine a bunch of vibrant red or green grapes, you might picture the fresh taste of the fruit, the sweet flavor of grape juice or maybe a Friday night glass of wine.
But if hair care doesn’t spring to mind, you might be overlooking what the humble grape seed can do for your curls & coils.
You might be rocking your natural curls now, but adding grapeseed oil to your curly hair care routine can help you take them to the next level. This guide to the best grapeseed oil benefits for hair will share four ways it can give your curls a little extra love.
#1 Stunning Hair Growth
If you’ve been dreaming of longer locks, you’re probably on top of all the best ways to make your hair growth journey happen. But if you want to pile some extra love on your strands, one of the main benefits of grapeseed oil for hair is its ability to promote healthy hair growth.
Grapeseed oil’s effect on hair growth, whether you have 3C hair or 4C curls, has been demonstrated through several sources, such as:
- Medical studies – It’s not just an urban myth—grapeseed oil has hard science to back it up. Some studies suggest that grapeseed oil can help hair to grow faster when applied both as a scalp treatment & a tonic.
- Natural hair professionals – Your hairstylist knows what they’re talking about! Some natural hair experts recommend grapeseed oil to promote new hair growth, even when facing extreme cases such as bald spots. Some report seeing noticeable growth in just six weeks.
Get in on the buzz & consider how grapeseed oil could help you achieve your hair growth dreams. All you need to do is run a few drops through your damp curls. Alternately, you can massage a few drops directly on your scalp as you would a scalp treatment.
#2 Hair Shine Like Never Before
While warm weather marks the return of beach & sundress season, it also means that you might experience more humidity. For those with natural hair, humidity can equal lots of frizz & flyaways. But you can beat the heat with grapeseed oil & keep your curls looking their best all season.
Another key benefit of grapeseed oil is its ability to keep your natural hair shiny, sleek & moisturized—even when humidity strikes. It does so by:
- Coating your hair strands to reflect extra light
- Locking in moisture when applied post-shower
- Acting as a conditioner throughout the day
While lots of oils can add shine, grapeseed oil is a particularly excellent choice because of how lightweight it is. Although coconut oil and olive oil can offer lots of benefits, they can be heavy & can weigh your curls down. But since grapeseed oil is lighter, you’ll get the same benefits without the greasiness.
#3 Flaky, Itchy Scalp Relief
Everyone’s scalp gets a few flakes from time to time, & we know that doesn’t stop you from looking fabulous when you rock your ‘do. That said, if you’re looking for scalp treatments that will help you scratch a little less, this essential oil should be at the top of your list.
Here’s what makes grapeseed oil so effective at soothing an inflamed scalp:
- Its high nutrient content – Since grapeseed oil is full of antioxidants, Vitamin E, linoleic acid & omegas, it’s able to help moisturize your scalp & cut through dandruff flakes by promoting newer, healthier growth instead.
- Its wealth of fatty acids – Though it is called fatty acid, it is anything but irritating. In fact, these compounds give grapeseed extract or oil the anti-inflammatory abilities that let it soothe any scalp-related itchiness you might be having.
Show your scalp some extra love with grapeseed oil & make any pesky flakes or itchiness a thing of the past.
#4 Stronger Natural Hair
Preventing natural hair breakage is one of the key tenets of caring for your curls. To support your strands, you might build your curl care routine around protecting the integrity & structure of your fabulous but delicate curls.
This care can come in the form of silk bonnets, pillowcases, protective styles & careful detangling. If your ears perk up when we say careful detangling, make sure to check out our blog for additional tips on how to detangle hair properly.
But, back to the benefits of grapeseed oil. Grapeseed extract or oil is also an excellent way to protect your natural hair.
Its antioxidant properties & conditioning properties mean that Grapeseed Oil is believed to:
- Help strengthen the strands of your hair
- Prevent breakage, splitting & damage
- Grow your curls strong & bouncy
It’s also an easy addition to your curly hair care routine. You can mix a small amount into your shampoo and conditioner for curly hair or apply it directly to your scalp. Or, you can use a detangler for curly and coily hair that is formulated with grapeseed oil, like the PATTERN Detangling Nectar.
Give Your Curls TLC with PATTERN
At this point, we hope you know the answer to the question, “is grapeseed oil good for hair?” is a resounding yes. From shine to growth to protection, this oil truly is a hair care superstar.
That’s why we’ve included grapeseed oil in our detangler for curly hair.
Your natural hair deserves the best, & at PATTERN, we make sure our curly hair products can meet that promise. No matter your natural curl pattern, we’ll have both you & your curls happy.
Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine. Effect of Pumpkin Seed Oil on Hair Growth in Men with Androgenetic Alopecia: A Randomized, Double-Blind, Placebo-Controlled Trial. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4017725/
Healthline. Can I Use Grapeseed Oil for Hair Growth https://www.healthline.com/health/beauty-skin-care/can-i-use-grapeseed-oil-for-hair-growth
Byrdie. Grapeseed Oil for Hair: Benefits and How to Use It. https://www.byrdie.com/grapeseed-oil-for-hair
MBG Lifestyle. Grapeseed Oil For Hair? 7 Benefits From High Shine To https://www.mindbodygreen.com/articles/grapeseed-oil-for-hair/